Amoskeag Steam Fire Engine - Special Member Reception
Celebrate the arrival of the Ashland #1 Amoskeag Steam Fire Engine to the Millyard Museum!
Wednesday, November 12, 2014 5:30-7:00 p.m.
Millyard Museum, 200 Bedford Street, Manchester, NH
Learn the history of this amazing machine, which was built at the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company workshops in 1871 under the direction of inventor Nehemiah Bean.
See how the "steamer" was expertly moved from its temporary home in Portland, Maine, to Manchester and into the Millyard Museum by Louis P. Cote Riggers of Goffstown.
Hear about the plans for a new exhibit to showcase the steam fire engine and to highlight Manchester's history of technology and innovation.
Learn how the machine was operated from steam engine expert and Manchester native Carlton Ekdahl.
View the story of Manchester in a guided tour of the Museum.
Enjoy refreshments and light appetizers.
All in the historic setting of Mill #3 – home to the Millyard Museum.
Holiday Open House 2014
Holiday Open House at the Millyard Museum
Saturday, December 6, 2014
10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Enjoy time spent with your neighbors, family and friends on this special day of shopping and fun family activities in the Millyard Museum.
- Children's Holiday crafts
- Holiday storytelling
- See historical exhibits spanning Manchester's history from the Paleo-Indians to the present, including the Ashland No. 1 Amoskeag Steam Fire Engine
- Enter raffles to win great prizes!
- Play old-fashioned board games and win free prizes by completing an educational Gallery Hunt
- Enjoy cookies and cider
- Shop for the holidays in the Museum Shop, featuring historical books, stocking stuffers, and unique collectible brass ornaments including the new "Carpenter Memorial Library"
- Members of the Manchester Historic Association receive an extra 10% discount this day only (at least 20% off all shop items).
- Additional sales on select items and special gift membership packages available.
Park at the Millyard Museum and walk up to Elm Street to view the Intown Manchester Christmas Parade which starts at 4:00 p.m.
Now Accepting Historic Preservation Award Nominations
The Historic Preservation Committee is now accepting nominations for the 2015 Historic Preservation Awards.
The Historic Preservation Awards program recognizes and supports the efforts of individuals, businesses, and organizations who have made significant contributions to the preservation of buildings, neighborhoods, and other historic resources in the city.
If you are interested in nominating a person, organization or business for a Historic Preservation Award, please complete the HPA 2015 Nomination Form.